Usually towards the end of the year, we always hear about how many players the Texas Rangers have used overall in any particular season. The Rangers are usually towards the high end of that list. Injuries, callups, usually make for a long list, and you tend to forget the guys who are here so quick that they don’t even have time for the proverbial “cup of coffee”. I’ve done this for the last several seasons (2019 will be the 12th season I’ve kept track of this), and it’s worked out pretty well. I’ve also gotten some positive feedback on it, so it’s become a permanent feature here. If you’d like to see the final tallies for the other years I’ve done this, you can still see them with links at the bottom of the page.
Anyway, this post will get bumped whenever there is a player who is making his first appearance for the Texas Rangers in 2019. I am going to count guys who get called up, but don’t play immediately (or sometimes don’t play at all), as they will be part of the 25 man roster officially. So here goes.
The most recent additions will be on the top of the list.
Total players in 2019: 29
Total pitchers used in 2018: 15
Total position players used in 2018: 14
Total players making major league debut: 3
- #29 – Brett Martin (Apr 19 – replacing Kyle Bird (optioned to AAA))
- #28 – Danny Santana (Apr 13 – replacing Rougned Odor (10 day DL))
- #27 – Patrick Wisdom (Apr 7 – replacing Ronald Guzman (10 day DL))
- #26 – Adrian Sampson (Apr 1 – replacing Kyle Bird (optioned to AAA))
#25 to #1 (no particular order): Kyle Bird, Jesse Chavez, Kyle Dowdy, Jeanmar Gomez, Shawn Kelley, Jose Leclerc, Lance Lynn, Chris Martin, Shelby Miller, Mike Minor, Drew Smiley, Jeffrey Springs, Edinson Volquez, Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Jeff Mathis, Elvis Andrus, Asdubal Cabrera, Logan Forsythe, Ronald Guzman, Rougned Odor, Shin-Soo Choo, Delino DeShields, Joey Gallo, Nomar Mazara, Hunter Pence.
Players making their Making Major League Debut are bolded
- Of the opening day 25 man roster, 2 players made their Rangers AND major league debut (Kyle Bird, Kyle Dowdy)
- Of the opening day 25 man roster, 9 players are making their Rangers debuts. (Bird, Dowdy, Gomez, Lynn, Miller, Smiley, Cabrera, Forsythe, Pence)
- Previous years counts for major league debuts.. 2018 (1, Tocci), 2017 (2, Hauschild, Robinson), 2016 (1, Barnette), 2015 (6, DeShields, Kela, Klein, Rua, Smolinski, Verrett), 2014 (1, Seth Rosin), 2013 (2, Leury Garcia & Smokin’ Joe Ortiz), 2012 (2, Darvish & Ross), 2011 (1, Mason Tobin), none in 2010, 2009 (1, Elvis Andrus), and 2008 (1, Kaz Fukumori).
Old Versions of this Page: