Usually towards the end of the year, we always hear about how many players the Texas Rangers have used overall in any particular season. The Rangers are usually towards the high end of that list. Injuries, callups, usually make for a long list, and you tend to forget the guys who are here so quick that they don’t even have time for the proverbial “cup of coffee”.
I’ve done this for the last five seasons, and it’s worked out pretty well. I’ve also gotten some positive feedback on it, so it’s become a permanent feature here. If you’d like to see the final tallies for the other years I’ve done this, you can still see them here: [ 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 ]
Anyway, this post will get bumped whenever there is a player who is making his first appearance for the Texas Rangers in 2014. I am going to count guys who get called up, but don’t play immediately (or sometimes don’t play at all), as they will be part of the 25 man roster officially. So here goes. The most recent additions will be on the top of the list. The original opening day 25 man roster is not in any particular order.
Total players in 2014: 33
Total pitchers used in 2014: 17
Total position players used in 2014: 16
Total players making major league debut: 3
- #33 – Luis Sardinas (Apr 19 – replaced Jim Adduci, who went to DL)
- #32 – Aaron Poreda (Apr 18 – replaced Tanner Scheppers, who went to DL)
- #31 – Colby Lewis (Apr 14 – replaced Daniel McCutchen, who was designated for assignment)
- #30 – Hector Noesi (Apr 13 – replaced Adrian Beltre, who went to DL)
- #29 – Kevin Kouzmanoff (Apr 9 – replaced Seth Rosin, who was designated for assignment)
- #28 – Yu Darvish (Apr 6 – replaced Nick Martinez, who was sent to AA)
- #27 – Nick Martinez (Apr 5 – replaced Daniel McCutchen, who was sent to AA)
- #26 - Daniel McCutchen (Apr 1 – replaced Chris Gimenez, who was designated for assignment)
#25 to #1: Neal Cotts, Pedro Figueroa, Jason Frasor, Alexi Ogando, Martin Perez, Seth Rosin, Robbie Ross, Jr., Joe Saunders, Tanner Scheppers, Joakim Soria, Shawn Tolleson, J.P. Arencibia, Robinson Chirinos, Chris Gimenez, Elvis Andrus, Adrian Beltre, Prince Fielder, Donnie Murphy, Josh Wilson, Jim Adduci, Michael Choice, Shin-Soo Choo, Leonys Martin, Mitch Moreland, Alex Rios.
Players making their Making Major League Debut are bolded
- In 2014, the Rangers have just one in the original opening day 25 that were making their major league debuts (Seth Rosin). The previous years’ counts in that regard were two in 2013 (Leury Garcia & Smokin’ Joe Ortiz), 2012 (Darvish & Ross), one in 2011 (Mason Tobin), none in 2010, one in 2009 (Elvis Andrus), and one in 2008 (Kaz Fukumori).
- We have ELEVEN players making their debut as Texas Rangers: Pedro Figueroa, Seth Rosin, Joe Saunders, Shawn Tolleson, J.P. Arencibia, Chris Gimenez, Prince Fielder, Donnie Murphy, Josh Wilson, Michael Choice, Shin-Soo Choo.