Usually towards the end of the year, we always hear about how many players the Texas Rangers have used overall in any particular season. The Rangers are usually towards the high end of that list. Injuries, callups, usually make for a long list, and you tend to forget the guys who are here so quick that they don’t even have time for the proverbial “cup of coffee”. I’ve done this for the last several seasons (2020 will be the 13th season I’ve kept track of this), and it’s worked out pretty well. I’ve also gotten some positive feedback on it, so it’s become a permanent feature here. If you’d like to see the final tallies for the other years I’ve done this, you can still see them with links at the bottom of the page.
Anyway, this post will get bumped whenever there is a player who is making his first appearance for the Texas Rangers in 2020. I am going to count guys who get called up, but don’t play immediately (or sometimes don’t play at all), as they will be part of the 26 man roster officially. Here goes:
The most recent additions will be on the top of the list.
Total players in 2020: 50
Total pitchers used in 2020: 25
Total position players used in 2020: 25
Total players making major league debut: 9
- #50 – Andrew Romine (Sep 24 – replacing Nick Goody (DFA))
- #49 – Demarcus Evans (Sep 15 – replacing Luis Garcia (DFA))
- #48 – Sherton Apostel (Sep 12 – replacing Elvis Andrus (placed on 10 day DL))
- #47 – Sam Huff (Sep 10 – replacing Scott Heinemann (optioned to ATS))
- #46 – John King (Sep 1 – replacing Yadiel Rivera (DFA))
- #45 – Eli White (Sep 1 – replacing Todd Frazier (traded to NYM))
- #44 – Kyle Cody (Aug 20 – replacing Elvis Andrus (placed on 10 day DL))
- #43 – Yadiel Rivera (Aug 20 – replacing Willie Calhoun (placed on 10 day DL))
- #42 – Luis Garcia (Aug 18 – replacing Juan Nicasio (placed on restricted list)
- #41 – Juan Nicasio (Aug 14 – replacing Edinson Volquez (placed on 45 day DL))
- #40 – Derek Dietrich (Aug 11 – replacing Anderson Tejeda (optioned to ATS))
- #39 – Wes Benjamin (Aug 11 – replacing Jimmy Herget (optioned to ATS))
- #38 – Taylor Hearn (Aug 10 – replacing Adolis Garcia (optioned to ATS))
- #37 – Rafael Montero (Aug 7 – replacing Joe Palumbo (placed on 10 day DL))
- #36 – Joely Rodriguez (Aug 4 – replacing Greg Bird (placed on 10 day DL))
- #35 – Anderson Tejeda (Aug 2 – replacing Danny Santana (placed on 10 day DL))
- #34 – Jimmy Herget (Jul 31 – replacing Jose LeClerc (placed on 45 day DL))
- #33 – Greg Bird (Jul 31 – replacing Ronald Guzman (optioned to ATS))
- #32 – Brett Martin (Jul 28 – replacing Corey Kluber (placed on 45 day DL))
- #31 – Adolis García (Jul 28 – replacing Leody Taveras (optioned to ATS))
#30 to #1 (no particular order): Lance Lynn, Mike Minor, Corey Kluber, Kyle Gibson, Jordan Lyles, Jose Leclerc, Jonathan Hernandez, Jesse Chavez, Edinson Volquez, Nick Goody, Luke Farrell, Ian Gibaut, Joe Palumbo, Kolby Allard, Willie Calhoun, Danny Santana, Joey Gallo, Shin-Soo Choo, Nick Solak, Scott Heineman, Leody Taveras, Rob Refsnyder, Todd Frazier, Rougned Odor, Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Elvis Andrus, Ronald Guzman, Robinson Chirinos, Jose Trevino, Jeff Mathis.
Players making their Making Major League Debut are bolded
- ATS in the list above means “Alternate Training Site”, which is the pool of players to pick from given there are no minor leagues this year.
- With 2020 being such a strange season, the opening day roster will be 30, then reduced to 28 on Aug 6, and then to 26 on Aug 20.
- UPDATE: They did change the rosters from 30 to 28 on Aug 6, but announced that the subsequent cut to 26 was canceled, the roster will remain at 28 for the rest of the season (and postseason).
- Of the opening day 30 man roster, 1 player is making their Rangers AND major league debut (Leody Taveras)
- Of the opening day 30 man roster, 6 players are making their Rangers debuts. (Corey Kluber, Kyle Gibson, Jordan Lyles, Leody Taveras, Rob Refsnyder, Todd Frazier)
- Previous years counts for major league debuts on opening day roster: 2019 (2, Bird, Dowdy), 2018 (1, Tocci), 2017 (2, Hauschild, Robinson), 2016 (1, Barnette), 2015 (6, DeShields, Kela, Klein, Rua, Smolinski, Verrett), 2014 (1, Seth Rosin), 2013 (2, Leury Garcia & Smokin’ Joe Ortiz), 2012 (2, Darvish & Ross), 2011 (1, Mason Tobin), none in 2010, 2009 (1, Elvis Andrus), and 2008 (1, Kaz Fukumori).
- Players with “xx” in front of their names on the list were players that were recalled, on the 25 man roster, but did not actually play. The team doesn’t count those as players who played. I do (because they were here), but the team doesn’t.
Old Versions of this Page:
[ 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 ]