Usually towards the end of the year, we always hear about how many players the Texas Rangers have used overall in any particular season. The Rangers are usually towards the high end of that list. Injuries, callups, usually make for a long list, and you tend to forget the guys who are here so quick that they don’t even have time for the proverbial “cup of coffee”. I’ve done this for the last several seasons (2021 will be the 14th season I’ve kept track of this), and it’s worked out pretty well. I’ve also gotten some positive feedback on it, so it’s become a permanent feature here. If you’d like to see the final tallies for the other years I’ve done this, you can still see them with links at the bottom of the page.
Anyway, this post will get bumped whenever there is a player who is making his first appearance for the Texas Rangers in 2020. I am going to count guys who get called up, but don’t play immediately (or sometimes don’t play at all), as they will be part of the 26 man roster officially. Here goes:
The most recent additions will be on the top of the list.
Total players in 2021: 28
Total pitchers used in 2021: 15
Total position players used in 2021: 13
Total players making major league debut: 2
- #28 – Anderson Tejeda (replacing IF Brock Holt (10 day DL))
- #27 – LHP Brett Martin (replacing RHP Matt Bush (10 day DL))
#26 to #1 (in alphabetical order): Kolby Allard, Kohei Arihara, Wes Benjamin, Matt Bush, Kyle Cody, Charlie Culberson, David Dahl, Brett de Geus, Dane Dunning, Mike Foltynewicz, Joey Gallo, Kyle Gibson, Ronald Guzman, Taylor Hearn, Jonah Heim, Brock Holt, Ian Kennedy, Isiah Kiner-Falefa, John King, Nate Lowe, Jordan Lyles, Josh Sborz, Nick Solak, Leody Taveras, Jose Trevino, Eli White
Players making their Making Major League Debut are bolded
- 2021 goes back to a more normal number of players. The season starts at 26, which is what 2020 was supposed to be out of the gate, but last season was a fiasco in many ways.
- Of the opening day 26 man roster, 2 players are making their Rangers AND major league debut (Arihara, deGeus)
- Of the opening day 26 man roster, 11 players are making their Rangers debuts. (Arihara, Culberson, Dahl, de Geus, Dunning, Foltynewicz, Heim, Holt, Kennedy, Lowe, and Sborz.)
- Previous years counts for major league debuts on opening day roster: 2020 (1, Taveras), 2019 (2, Bird, Dowdy), 2018 (1, Tocci), 2017 (2, Hauschild, Robinson), 2016 (1, Barnette), 2015 (6, DeShields, Kela, Klein, Rua, Smolinski, Verrett), 2014 (1, Seth Rosin), 2013 (2, Leury Garcia & Smokin’ Joe Ortiz), 2012 (2, Darvish & Ross), 2011 (1, Mason Tobin), none in 2010, 2009 (1, Elvis Andrus), and 2008 (1, Kaz Fukumori).
- Players with “xx” in front of their names on the list were players that were recalled, on the 26 man roster, but did not actually play. The team doesn’t count those as players who played. I do (because they were here).
Old Versions of this Page: