Usually towards the end of the year, we always hear about how many players the Texas Rangers have used overall in any particular season. The Rangers are usually towards the high end of that list. Injuries, callups, usually make for a long list, and you tend to forget the guys who are here so quick that they don’t even have time for the proverbial “cup of coffee”. I’ve done this for awhile now (2023 will be the 16th season I’ve kept track of this), and it’s worked out pretty well. I’ve also gotten some positive feedback on it, so it’s become a permanent feature here. If you’d like to see the final tallies for the other years I’ve done this, you can still see them with links at the bottom of the page.
Anyway, this post will get bumped whenever there is a player who is making his first appearance for the Texas Rangers in 2022. I am going to count guys who get called up, but don’t play immediately (or sometimes don’t play at all), as they will be part of the 26 man roster officially. Here goes:
The most recent additions will be on the top of the list.
Total players in 2023: 45
Total pitchers used in 2021: 26
Total position players used in 2021: 19
Total players making major league debut: 5
- #45x – Matt Bush (Sep 30 – replacing Alex Speas (DFA)) – Bush Did not pitch
- #45 – Jake Latz (Sep 16 – replacing Ian Kennedy (DL))
- #44 – Evan Carter (Sep 8 – replacing Adolis Garcia (DL))
- #43 – Jonathan Ornelas (Aug 7 – replacing Josh Jung (DL))
- #42 – Austin Hedges (Aug 2 – replacing Bubba Thompson (optioned to AAA))
- #41 – Max Scherzer (Aug 1 – replacing Spencer Howard (traded to NYY))
- #40 – Jordan Montgomery (Aug 1 – replacing Cody Bradford (optioned to AAA))
- #39 – Chris Stratton (Aug 1 – replacing Yerry Rodriguez (optioned to AAA))
- #38 – Alex Speas (Jul 19 – replacing Taylor Hearn (DFA))
- #37 – Aroldis Chapman (Jul 1 – replacing Yerry Rodríguez (optioned to AAA)
- #36 – Glenn Otto (Jun 30, replacing John King (optioned to AAA))
- #35 – Owen White (Jun 13 – replacing Cole Ragans (optioned to AAA))
- #34 – Grant Anderson (May 29 – replacing Cody Bradford (optioned to AAA))
- #33 – Joe Barlow (May 16 – replacing Cody Bradford (optioned to AAA))
- #32 – Cody Bradford (May 15 – replacing Yerry Rodriguez (optioned to AAA))
- #31 – Sam Huff (May 9 – replacing Travis Jankowski (DL))
- #30 – Yerry Rodriguez (Apr 29 – replacing Jacob DeGrom (DL))
- #29 – Josh Sborz (Apr 14 – replacing Taylor Hearn (optioned to AAA))
- #28 – Leody Taveras (Apr 12 – replacing Corey Seager (DL))
- #27 – Sandy Leon (Apr 10 – replacing Mitch Garver (DL))
#26 to #1 (in no particular order): Mitch Garver, Jonah Heim, Nathaniel Lowe, Marcus Semien, Corey Seager, Josh Jung, Adolis Garcia, Robbie Grossman, Bubba Thompson, Travis Jankowski, Brad Miller, Josh Smith, Ezequiel Duran, Jacob DeGrom, Nathan Eovaldi, Jon Gray, Martin Perez, Andrew Heaney, Dane Dunning, Taylor Hearn, Jonathan Hernandez, Jose LeClerc, Brock Burke, Will Smith, Cole Ragans, Ian Kennedy.
Players making their Making Major League Debut are bolded
- Of the opening day 26 man roster, nobody is making their major league debut. That’s two years in a row now.
- Of the opening day 26 man roster, 6 players are making their Rangers debuts. (Robbie Grossman, Travis Jankowski, Jacob DeGrom, Nathan Eovaldi, Andrew Heaney, Will Smith).
- Previous years counts for major league debuts on opening day roster: 2022 (0), 2021 (2, Arihara, DeGeus), 2020 (1, Taveras), 2019 (2, Bird, Dowdy), 2018 (1, Tocci), 2017 (2, Hauschild, Robinson), 2016 (1, Barnette), 2015 (6, DeShields, Kela, Klein, Rua, Smolinski, Verrett), 2014 (1, Seth Rosin), 2013 (2, Leury Garcia & Smokin’ Joe Ortiz), 2012 (2, Darvish & Ross), 2011 (1, Mason Tobin), none in 2010, 2009 (1, Elvis Andrus), and 2008 (1, Kaz Fukumori).
- Players with “xx” in front of their names on the list were players that were recalled, on the 26 man roster, but did not actually play. The team doesn’t count those as players who played. I do (because they were here).
Old Versions of this Page: