Usually towards the end of the year, we always hear about how many players the Texas Rangers have used overall in any particular season. The Rangers are usually towards the high end of that list. Injuries, callups, usually make for a long list, and you tend to forget the guys who are here so quick that they don’t even have time for the proverbial “cup of coffee”. I’ve done this for the last seven seasons, and it’s worked out pretty well. I’ve also gotten some positive feedback on it, so it’s become a permanent feature here. If you’d like to see the final tallies for the other years I’ve done this, you can still see them here:
[ 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 ]
Anyway, this post will get bumped whenever there is a player who is making his first appearance for the Texas Rangers in 2016. I am going to count guys who get called up, but don’t play immediately (or sometimes don’t play at all), as they will be part of the 25 man roster officially. So here goes.
The most recent additions will be on the top of the list.
Total players in 2016: 52
Total pitchers used in 2016: 28 (29*)
Total position players used in 2016: 23
Total players making major league debut: 6
- #52 – Tanner Scheppers (9/6, September callup)
- #51 – Yohander Mendez (9/2, September callup)
- #50 – Carlos Gomez (8/25, replaces Drew Stubbs, who was designated for assignment)
- #49 – Jeremy Jeffress (8/3, replaces Hanser Alberto, who was optioned to AAA)
- #48 – Carlos Beltran (8/2, replaces Joey Gallo, who was optioned to AAA)
- #47 – Jonathan Lucroy (8/2, replaces Bobby Wilson, who was designated for assignment)
- #46 – Lucas Harrell (7/29, replaces Shawn Tolleson, who was optioned to AAA)
- #45 – Dario Alvarez (7/28, replaces Nick Martinez, who was optioned to AAA)
- #44 – Kyle Lohse (7/9 – replaces Nick Martinez, who was optioned to AA)
- #43 – Jose LeClerc (7/5 – replaces Michael Roth, who was designated for assignment)
- #42 – Michael Roth (7/3 – replaces Luke Jackson, who was optioned to AA)
- #41 – Chi Chi Gonzalez (6/27 – replaces Alex Cludio, who was optioned to AAA)
- #40 – Yu Darvish (5/28 – replaces Joey Gallo, who was optioned to AAA)
- #39 – Jurickson Profar (5/27 – replaces Shawn Tolleson who was placed on Family Medical Leave)
- #38 – Joey Gallo (5/23, replaces Drew Stubbs, who was placed on the DL)
- #37 – Jared Hoying (5/23, replaces Shin Soo-Choo, who was placed on DL)
- #36 – Luke Jackson (5/16, replaces Tom Wilhelsen, who was optioned to AAA)
- #35 – Matt Bush (5/13, replaces Delino DeShields Jr, who was optioned to AAA)
- #34 – Drew Stubbs (5/8, replaces Alex Claudio, who was optioned to AAA)
- #33 – Anthony Ranaudo (5/6, replaces Phil Klein, who was optioned to AAA)
- #32 – Bobby Wilson (5/4, replaces Brett Nicholas, who was optioned to AAA)
- #31 – Cesar Ramos (4/25, replaces Nick Martinez, who was optioned to AAA)
- #30 – Nick Martinez (4/16, replaces Andrew Faulkner, who was optioned to AAA)
- #29 – Alex Claudio (4/13, replaces Phil Klein, who was optioned to AAA)
- #28 – Nomar Mazara (4/10, replaces Shin-Soo Choo who was placed on the DL)
- #27 – Brett Nicholas (4/10, replaces Robinson Chirinos who was placed on DL)
- #26 – A.J. Griffin (4/8, replaces Justin Ruggiano who was designated for assignment)
#25 to #1: Tony Barnette, Jake Diekman, Sam Dyson, Andrew Faulkner, Cole Hamels, Derek Holland, Keone Kela, Phil Klein, Colby Lewis, Martin Perez, Shawn Tolleson, Tom Wilhelmsen, Robinson Chirinos, Bryan Holaday, Hanser Alberto, Elvis Andrus, Adrian Beltre, Ian Desmond, Prince Fielder, Mitch Moreland, Rougned Odor, Shin-Soo Choo, Delino DeShields, Ryan Rua, Justin Ruggiano.
Players making their Making Major League Debut are bolded
- * Bryan Holaday pitched in a game on Jul 2, and Jared Hoying pitched in a game on Jul 7. The Rangers don’t count position players pitching as a “pitcher used”.
- Of the opening day 25 man roster, six are making their Rangers debuts (Barnette, Faulkner, Wilhelmsen, Holaday, Desmond, Ruggiano) and only one of THOSE is making a major league debut (Barnette)
- Previous years counts for major league debuts.. 2015 (6, DeShields, Kela, Klein, Rua, Smolinski, Verrett), 2014 (Seth Rosin), 2013 (Leury Garcia & Smokin’ Joe Ortiz), 2012 (Darvish & Ross), one in 2011 (Mason Tobin), none in 2010, one in 2009 (Elvis Andrus), and one in 2008 (Kaz Fukumori).