Usually towards the end of the year, we always hear about how many players the Texas Rangers have used overall in any particular season. The Rangers are usually towards the high end of that list. Injuries, callups, usually make for a long list, and you tend to forget the guys who are here so quick that they don’t even have time for the proverbial “cup of coffee”. I’ve done this for the last several seasons (2018 will be the 11th season I’ve kept track of this), and it’s worked out pretty well. I’ve also gotten some positive feedback on it, so it’s become a permanent feature here. If you’d like to see the final tallies for the other years I’ve done this, you can still see them with links at the bottom of the page.
Anyway, this post will get bumped whenever there is a player who is making his first appearance for the Texas Rangers in 2018. I am going to count guys who get called up, but don’t play immediately (or sometimes don’t play at all), as they will be part of the 25 man roster officially. So here goes.
The most recent additions will be on the top of the list.
Total players in 2018: 36
Total pitchers used in 2018: 18
Total position players used in 2018: 18
Total players making major league debut: 5
- #36 – Ariel Jurado (5/19 – replacing Matt Moore (10 day DL))
NOTE: Jurado sent back down next day.
- #35 – Brandon Mann (5/13 – replacing Yohander Mendez (optioned to AAA))
- #XX – Eliezer Alvarez (5/7 – replacing Drew Robinson (10 day DL))
NOTE: Alvarez was sent back down after one day, and did not actually play, so doesn’t officially count.
- #34 – Carlos Perez (5/3 – replacing Juan Centeno (DFA))
- #33 – Yohander Mendez (5/3 – replacing Nick Gardewine (optioned to AAA))
- #32 – Renato Nunez (4/16 – replacing Ryan Rua (optioned to AAA))
- #31 – Ronald Guzman (4/13, replacing Elvis Andrus (10 day DL))
- #30 – Isiah Kiner-Falefa (4/11, replacing Rougned Odor (10 day DL))
- #29 – Tony Barnette (4/11, replacing Doug Fister (10 day DL))
- #28 – Martin Perez (4/5, replacing Jose Leclerc (optioned to AAA))
- #27 – Bartolo Colon (4/2, replacing Nick Gardewine (optioned to AAA))
- #26 – Nick Gardewine (3/31, replacing Delino DeShields (10 day DL))
#25 to #1 (no particular order): Matt Bush, Jesse Chavez, Alex Claudio, Jake Diekman, Doug Fister, Cole Hamels, Kevin Jepsen, Keone Kela, Jose Leclerc, Chris Martin, Mike Minor, Matt Moore, Juan Centeno, Robinson Chirinos, Elvis Andrus, Adrian Beltre, Joey Gallo, Rougned Odor, Jurickson Profar, Shin-Soo Choo, Delino DeShields, Nomar Mazara, Drew Robinson, Ryan Rua, Carlos Tocci
Players making their Making Major League Debut are bolded
- Of the opening day 25 man roster, 1 player is making his Rangers AND major league debut (Carlos Tocci)
- Of the opening day 25 man roster, 8 players are making their Rangers debuts. (Chavez, Fister, Jepsen, Martin, Minor, Moore, Centeno, & Tocci)
- Previous years counts for major league debuts.. 2017 (2, Hauschild, Robinson), 2016 (1, Barnette), 2015 (6, DeShields, Kela, Klein, Rua, Smolinski, Verrett), 2014 (1, Seth Rosin), 2013 (2, Leury Garcia & Smokin’ Joe Ortiz), 2012 (2, Darvish & Ross), 2011 (1, Mason Tobin), none in 2010, 2009 (1, Elvis Andrus), and 2008 (1, Kaz Fukumori).
- 1 guy is on an Opening Day roster for the first time (Tocci)
Old Versions of this Page: