Usually towards the end of the year, we always hear about how many players the Texas Rangers have used overall in any particular season. The Rangers are usually towards the high end of that list. Injuries, callups, usually make for a long list, and you tend to forget the guys who are here so quick that they don’t even have time for the proverbial “cup of coffee”.
I’ve done this for the last five seasons, and it’s worked out pretty well. I’ve also gotten some positive feedback on it, so it’s become a permanent feature here. If you’d like to see the final tallies for the other years I’ve done this, you can still see them here: [ 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 ]
Anyway, this post will get bumped whenever there is a player who is making his first appearance for the Texas Rangers in 2013. I am going to count guys who get called up, but don’t play immediately (or sometimes don’t play at all), as they will be part of the 25 man roster officially. So here goes. The most recent additions will be on the top of the list. The original opening day 25 man roster is not in any particular order.
Total players in 2013: 45
Total pitchers used in 2013: 24
Total position players used in 2013: 22
Total players making major league debut: 7
The numbers don’t add up, as David Murphy pitched an inning on Jun 4
- #45 – Jim Adduci (Sep 1, replacing Joe Benson who was DFA’ed from minors)
- #44 – Travis Blackley (Aug 20, replacing Alexi Ogando, who went to DL)
- #43 – Alex Rios (Aug 10 – replacing Joey Butler, who was sent to AAA)
- #42 – Joey Butler (Aug 5 – replacing Nelson Cruz, who was suspended)
- #41 – Adam Rosales (Aug 1 – replacing Engel Beltre, who was sent to AAA)
- #40 – Matt Garza (Jul 23 – replacing Smokin’ Joe Ortiz, who was sent to AAA)
- #39 – Wilmer Font – (Jul 11 – replacing Yu Darvish, who went to DL)
- #38 – Joaquim Soria – (Jul 7 – replacing Nick Tepesch, who went to DL)
- #37 – Engel Beltre (Jun 23 – replacing Craig Gentry, who went to DL)
- #36 – Kyle McClellan (Jun 9 – replacing Michael Kirkman, who went to DL)
- #35 – Chris McGuiness (Jun 6 – replacing Mitch Moreland, who went to DL)
- #34 – Martin Perez (May 27 – recalled as Player 26 on doubleheader exemption)
- #33 – Ross Wolf (May 22 – replacing Cory Burns, who was sent to AAA)
- #32 – Neal Cotts (May 21, replacing Josh Lindblom, who was sent to AAA)
- #31 – Josh Lindblom (May 20, replaced Derek Lowe, who was DFA’ed)
- #30 – Jurickson Profar (May 19, replaced Ian Kinsler, who went to DL)
- #29 – Cory Burns (May 16, replaced Alexi Ogando, who went to DL)
- #28 – Robinson Chirinos (May 10, replaced AJ Pierzynski, who went to DL)
- #27 – Justin Grimm (Apr 11, replaced Matt Harrison, who went to DL)
- #26 – Nick Tepesch (Apr 9 , replaced Julio Borbon, who was DFA’ed)
#25 to #1: Yu Darvish, Jason Frasor, Matt Harrison, Derek Holland, Michael Kirkman, Derek Lowe, Joe Nathan, Alexi Ogando, Joe Ortiz, Robbie Ross, Tanner Scheppers, A.J. Pierzynski, Geovany Soto, Elvis Andrus, Jeff Baker, Adrian Beltre, Lance Berkman, Leury Garcia, Ian Kinsler, Mitch Moreland, Julio Borbon, Nelson Cruz, Craig Gentry, Leonys Martin, David Murphy.
Players making their Making Major League Debut are bolded
- In 2013, the Rangers have two in the original opening day 25 that were making their major league debuts (Leury Garcia & Joe Ortiz). The previous years’ counts in that regard were two in 2012 (Darvish & Ross), one in 2011 (Mason Tobin), none in 2010, one in 2009 (Elvis Andrus), and one in 2008 (Kaz Fukumori).
- We have players on an opening day 25 man roster who have never been on an opening day roster before: Leury Garcia, Michael Kirkman, Leonys Martin, Joe Ortiz, & Tanner Scheppers
- We have seven players making their debut as Texas Rangers: Jeff Baker, Lance Berkman, Jason Frasor, Leury Garcia, Derek Lowe, AJ Pierzynski.