Usually towards the end of the year, we always hear about how many players the Texas Rangers have used overall in any particular season. The Rangers are usually towards the high end of that list. Injuries, callups, usually make for a long list, and you tend to forget the guys who are here so quick that they don’t even have time for the proverbial “cup of coffee”.
I’ve done this for the last four seasons, and it’s worked out pretty well. I’ve also gotten some positive feedback on it, so I’m doing it again this year. For the record, if you’d like to see the final tallies for the other years I’ve done this, you can still see them here: [ 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 ]
Anyway, this post will get bumped whenever there is a player who is making his first appearance for the Texas Rangers in 2012. I am going to count guys who get called up, but don’t play immediately (or sometimes don’t play at all), as they will be part of the 25 man roster officially. So here goes. The most recent additions will be on the top of the list. The original opening day 25 man roster is not in any particular order.
In 2012, the Rangers have two in the original opening day 25 that is making his major league debut (Yu Darvish & Robbie Ross). The previous years’ counts in that regard were one in 2011 (Mason Tobin), none in 2010, one in 2009 (Elvis Andrus), and one in 2008 (Kaz Fukumori). We do however, have five guys making their Rangers debut this season. They are: Yu Darvish, Alberto Gonzalez, Joe Nathan, Robbie Ross, & Ben Synder.
Total players in 2012: 39
Total pitchers used in 2012: 20
Total position players used in 2012: 19
Total players making major league debut: 8
You could make the point that there were 21 pitchers, but that 21st was Craig Gentry who threw an inning. I’m not counting that on this page. :)
- #39 – Wilmer Font (Sep 16, part of September callups)
- #38 – Jurickson Profar (Sep 1, part of September callups)
- #37 – Luis Hernandez (Aug 24, replacing Michael Young, who went to paternity list)
- #36 – Mike Olt (Aug 2, replacing Brandon Snyder, who was optioned)
- #35 – Ryan Dempster (Aug 1, replacing Martin Perez, who was optioned)
- #34 – Geovany Soto (Jul 31, replacing Yorvit Torrealba, who was DFA)
- #33 – Luis Martinez (Jul 14, replacing Yoshinori Tateyama, who was optioned)
- #32 – Martin Perez (Jun 26, replacing Colby Lewis, who went to DL)
- #31 – Roy Oswalt (Jun 22, replacing Mitch Moreland, who went to DL)
- #30 – Justin Grimm (Jun 16, replacing Yoshinori Tateyama, who went to DL)
- #29 – Leonys Martin (Jun 15, replacing Koji Uehara who went to DL)
- #28 – Michael Kirkman (Jun 12, replacing Ogando who went to DL)
- #27 – Tanner Scheppers (Jun 7, replacing Derek Holland, who went to DL)
- #26 – Yoshinori Tateyama (May 21, replacing Feliz who went to DL)
#25 to #1: Mike Adams, Yu Darvish, Scott Feldman, Neftali Feliz, Colby Lewis, Mark Lowe, Joe Nathan, Alexi Ogando, Koji Uehara, Matt Harrison, Derek Holland, Robbie Ross, Mike Napoli, Yorvit Torrealba, Elvis Andrus, Adrian Beltre, Alberto Gonzalez, Ian Kinsler, Mitch Moreland, Brandon Snyder, Michael Young, Nelson Cruz, Craig Gentry, Josh Hamilton, David Murphy.
Players making their Making Major League Debut are bolded