Usually towards the end of the year, we always hear about how many players the Texas Rangers have used overall in any particular season. The Rangers are usually towards the high end of that list. Injuries, callups, usually make for a long list, and you tend to forget the guys who are here so quick that they don’t even have time for the proverbial “cup of coffee”. I’ve done this for the last several seasons (2017 will be the 10th season I’ve kept track of this), and it’s worked out pretty well. I’ve also gotten some positive feedback on it, so it’s become a permanent feature here. If you’d like to see the final tallies for the other years I’ve done this, you can still see them with links at the bottom of the page.
Anyway, this post will get bumped whenever there is a player who is making his first appearance for the Texas Rangers in 2017. I am going to count guys who get called up, but don’t play immediately (or sometimes don’t play at all), as they will be part of the 25 man roster officially. So here goes.
The most recent additions will be on the top of the list.
Total players in 2017: 43
Total pitchers used in 2017: 25
Total position players used in 2016: 19 (one position player pitched)
Total players making major league debut: 4
- #43 – Phil Gosselin – 8/19, replaces Carlos Gomez (placed on DL)
- #42 – Tyler Smith – 8/9, replaces Nick Martinez (optioned to AAA)
- #41 – Ricardo Rodríguez – 8/8, replaces Keone Kela (placed on DL)
- #40 – Clayton Blackburn – 7/31, replaces Jeremy Jeffress (traded to MIL)
- #39 – Jason Grilli – 7/3, replaces Dario Alvarez (optioned to AAA)
- #38 – Preston Claiborne – 6/22, replaces Jeremy Jeffress (10 day DL)
- #37 – Tanner Scheppers – 6/19, replaces Jared Hoying (optioned to AAA)
- #36 – Ernesto Frieri – 6/17, replaces Andrew Cashner (10 day DL)
- #35 – Tyson Ross – 6/16, replaces Dillon Gee (DFA)
- #34 – Adrian Beltre – 5/29, replaces Drew Robinson (optioned to AAA)
- #33 – Dillon Gee – 5/27, replaces AJ Griffin (10 day DL)
- #32 – Jared Hoying – 5/16, replaces Carlos Gomez (10 day DL)
- #31 – Austin Biben-Dirkx – 5/7, replaces Dario Alvarez (optioned to AAA)
- #30 – Pete Kozma – 5/1, replaces Jurickson Profar (optioned to AAA)
- #29 – Anthony Bass – 4/20, replaces Mike Hauschild (DFA)
- #28 – Keone Kela – 4/17, replaces Sam Dyson (10 day DL)
- #27 – Andrew Cashner – 4/15, replaces Nick Martinez (optioned to AAA)
- #26 – Nick Martinez – 4/12, replaces Drew Robinson (optioned to AAA)
#25 to #1 (no particular order): Dario Alvarez, Tony Barnette, Matt Bush, Alex Claudio, Yu Darvish, Sam Dyson, A.J. Griffin, Cole Hamels, Mike Hauschild, Jeremy Jeffress, Jose Leclerc, Martin Perez, Robinson Chirinos, Jonathan Lucroy, Elvis Andrus, Joey Gallo, Mike Napoli, Rougned Odor, Jurickson Profar, Drew Robinson, Shin-Soo Choo, Delino DeShields, Carlos Gomez, Nomar Mazara, Ryan Rua.
Players making their Making Major League Debut are bolded
- The number of position players and pitchers doesn’t sync up, because Brett Nicholas (backup catcher) pitched on July 26, 2017.
- Of the opening day 25 man roster, two players are making their Rangers AND major league debuts (Hauschild, Robinson)
- Previous years counts for major league debuts.. 2016 (1, Barnette), 2015 (6, DeShields, Kela, Klein, Rua, Smolinski, Verrett), 2014 (1, Seth Rosin), 2013 (2, Leury Garcia & Smokin’ Joe Ortiz), 2012 (2, Darvish & Ross), 2011 (1, Mason Tobin), none in 2010, 2009 (1, Elvis Andrus), and 2008 (1, Kaz Fukumori).
- 9 guys are on an Opening Day roster for the first time: Alvarez, Bush, Claudio, Gallo, Hauschild, Leclerc, Mazara, Profar, Robinson.
Old Versions of this Page: