Well, here it is. The big bomb of moves made to bring the roster to 25 for opening day.
- IF Josh Wilson purchased from AAA
- IF Adam Rosales designated for assignment
- P Yu Darvish placed on 15 day DL, retro to Mar 21
- IF Jurickson Profar placed on 15 day DL, retro to Mar 23
- P Matt Harrison placed on 15 day DL, retro to Mar 29
- C Geovany Soto placed on 60 day DL [ Link ]
This makes the opening day 25:
- PITCHERS (11): Neal Cotts, Pedro Figueroa, Jason Frasor, Alexi Ogando, Martin Perez, Seth Rosin, Robbie Ross, Jr., Joe Saunders, Tanner Scheppers, Joakim Soria, Shawn Tolleson.
- CATCHERS (3): J.P. Arencibia, Robinson Chirinos, Chris Gimenez.
- INFIELDERS (5): Elvis Andrus, Adrian Beltre, Prince Fielder, Donnie Murphy, Josh Wilson.
- OUTFIELDERS (6): Jim Adduci, Michael Choice, Shin-Soo Choo, Leonys Martin, Mitch Moreland, Alex Rios.
Some of these guys won’t be here long, as Darvish will likely miss just one start. Donnie Murphy & Josh Wilson were both pickups the last week of spring, so it’s not a huge surprise they’re here, although I wonder how much of an impact they’ll make long term. Chris Gimenez is a bit of a surprise, and I figure might be the first on the chopping block when it’s time to make a roster move.
Pitchers: Joe Saunders.. I hear Darth Vader screaming “Nooooooooooooooooo” somewhere. Shawn Tolleson & Seth Rosin, as well as Pedro Figueroa are unknowns to me – especially at this level. The rest of the guys we know about, although I wonder how Scheppers will handle opening day.
Feels like a wobbly roster given how hurt we’ve been, but I’ve rooted for worse teams than this in the past. I’ll give it a shot to see how it goes.